Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Captain's Blue Balls

I have many cookbooks, especially cupcake books, but I also like entertaining books (not that I get to entertain much in my dinky apartment, but they are good for ideas for other things). Anyway, one of my favorite books I’ve purchased in the last two years was “I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence” by Amy Sedaris, if you haven’t seen it you need to check it out. She is out of control, this book is not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach considering some of her recipes are a little old fashioned and combine crazy ingredients that don’t look appealing.
One of those recipes that jumped out at me that I recently made for an event was Captain’s Mouthwatering Bite-Size Blue Ball Cheese Balls. These were easy to make, can be made ahead, rich and decadent, especially when topped on a Ritz cracker or your favorite cracker. WARNING, YOU MUST LIKE BLUE CHEESE...I think that the recipe name would indicate that but it is always important to put warnings like this in blogs.
Captain’s Mouthwatering Bite-Size Blue Ball Cheese Balls
1 cup grated cheddar cheese 4 oz cream cheese 2 oz crumbled blue cheese 2 tbs butter 1 tbs chopped green onions ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce 1 tbs white wine or milk (I used milk) ¼ cup chopped walnuts
Bring all cheeses to room temperature. Beat with mixer. Add butter, onion (optional), Worchestershire sauce and milk or wine, continue beating. Chill overnight. Shape mixture into tumor-size balls. Roll in chopped nuts. Let stand 15 minutes. Spread on a Ritz or other cracker.

No comments:

Post a Comment