Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pork and Green Chili Stew

So I realize it is spring and almost summer, but I have neglected to share a recipe that has become a favorite of our household. I found this in Food and Wine Magazine's September 2012 issue. Yes I subscribe to food and wine, please don't judge my attempts to be slightly refined. The Pork-and-Green-Chili-Stew was a little scary to me because well I don't like hot things but I love green chilies that are mild so I thought it was worth a try. I did modify the recipe slightly because I was scare of the heat but next time I think I'll follow the ingredient list to a T but I'm still going to cook it my way.

Pork-and-Green-Chili-Stew
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 pounds trimmed boneless pork shoulder cut into cubes
1 large sweet onion thinly sliced
1 pound mild green chilies (I used Anaheims and poblanos) cored and thinly sliced
3 serrano chilies, seeded and thinly sliced (at this point I used jalapenos, but will try serranos next time)
6 garlic cloves thinly sliced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (I omitted, I love it but someone else doesn't so I used flakes)
Lime, warm corn tortillas and rice for serving

Directions from the Food and Wine Website link for the recipe:
  1. In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the olive oil until almost smoking. Season the pork cubes with salt and black pepper and add them to the casserole. Cook the pork over high heat, stirring once or twice, until lightly browned in spots, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, green chilies, serrano chilies and garlic. Cover and cook over high heat, stirring once or twice, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer the stew over moderately low heat until the pork is just tender and the broth is reduced by about half, about 20 minutes.
  2. Stir in the 1/4 cup of cilantro and season with salt and black pepper. Garnish the stew with cilantro and serve with lime wedges, corn tortillas and rice.
The stew can be refrigerated for up to 3 days, but we have found that it is much better reheated after being frozen. I use Ziplock freezer bags and use a measuring cup for portion control (you will need it on this stew) and freeze the bags flat so they store easier. You can reheat it in the microwave or on the stove.

I actually cooked mine for 1.5 hours the first night then for another 45 minutes the second night just to make sure the pork was good and tender.

We have also enjoyed ours with cornbread as well so the sky is the limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment