Friday, May 24, 2013

Roasted Red Potato Salad (with a twist)

I love to cook outside and being able to grill again without having my winter coat on (because yes I am that girl who cooks in her winter coat outside in a snow drift, I see nothing wrong with this at all). I had some great cheddar brats that I picked up from Kurzweils (Yes I have mentioned them before, no they are not paying me but if they wanted to give me some free brats I would not object at all...hint, hint) and was really excited to grill them so I was looking for the perfect accompaniment to go with them and for some reason I was craving potato salad.

Now here is the deal with me and potato salad...we don't have a love affair, I don't crave it and for the most part if I do crave it and I have it I'm disappointed because it is mushy or overly sweet or just plain bad. So most of the time when I crave potato salad unless I can make it myself I just don't have it. But last night was different, there is nothing that screamed that summer was around the corner more than some grilled brats and potato salad. So I started some research and decided to throw out Google and go ahead and just wing it and if it wasn't any good then I would just throw it out before Jake got home. :)

The outcome was quite the opposite...I got rave reviews and honestly I would have eaten a whole bowl of it if I wouldn't have already had an ear of corn on the cob, brat and some cottage cheese. And for once I don't think I will tweak it at all for us but you for sure can for the tastes in your household.

The potato salad is in the bottom left corner, and yes I do like a lot of mustard on my brat.


Roasted Red Potato Salad
(makes enough for 4-5 servings)
6-7 small red potatoes washed and diced
1/4 large Vidalia onion diced
2 tsp olive oil
3 hard boiled eggs chilled and diced
1 cup low-fat Miracle Whip (or mayo or whatever your choice is)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp white distilled vinegar
1/2 tsp diced fresh garlic
2-4 small sweet Gherkin pickles diced very small
1 tsp dill weed
1 1/2 tsp prepared horseradish (raw would work too I just didn't have any on hand)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. On a large sheet pan spread out the red potatoes and onions and add the olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Bake stirring every 10-15 minutes for 45 minutes. While your potatoes are roasting place your bowl in the freezer to chill. Once the potatoes are slightly browned allow them to cool while you make the dressing. Combine the Miracle Whip, mustard, vinegar, garlic, diced pickle, dill and horseradish in a small bowl and whisk until completely combined and creamy. Add your potatoes to the chilled bowl then add your eggs and gently fold into the dressing. Chill for at least 1 hour and serve cold.

Hope you enjoy and have a great Memorial Day Holiday!!

Update 5/28/13:
Made this at mom's this weekend and she added bacon (because why not bacon is good on well pretty much everything) and we put in Famous Dave's Sweet Hot pickles instead of the Gherkin's.

Also comment from Christy was to add some green onions to the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment