Friday, January 24, 2014

Super Bowl Happy App-etizers: PW Bacon Appetizers

So if you follow me on Pinterest you know I have a lot of random boards, but one in particular is called Happy App-etizers where I place all the fun appetizer type recipes that I find online. One in particular I got from the newest Pioneer Woman cookbook A Year of Holidays, but I also added it to my board. By the way I love this cookbook...love, love, love!

Let me introduce to you the Pioneer Woman's Bacon Wrapped Cracker. OH MY, these are good! They are especially good warm, right out of the oven (with a little cooling time since bacon gets really, really hot in the oven for 2 hours) but they are still tasty a day or two later.

A couple things I learned in my process.
1) Do not use the low fat or low sodium bacon that doesn't have full size strips of bacon. You will need the longer strips so when you cut them in half they will wrap around the cracker/cheese mixture.
2) She recommends not wrapping the bacon too tight around the cracker or when it is done it will look like a cinched waist on a debutant in the late 1800's.
3) Use the full-sized Club Crackers not the mini...I mean I guess you could use the min but it will take you a long time to prep everything.
4) Plan ahead...this appetizer does take some time to prep and also it bakes for a couple hours so make sure you plan ahead
5) one sleeve of Club Crackers is equal to a pound of bacon cut in half


Recipe from the PW Website:
  • 1 package Club Crackers
  • 1 pound Thin Sliced Bacon (or More Depending On Number Of Crackers)
  • Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • Optional Alternative: Brown Sugar Instead Of Parmesan Cheese

Preparation Instructions

Lay crackers (as many as you want) face up on a cookie sheet.

Scoop about 1 teaspoon of grated Parmesan cheese onto each cracker. Cut your package of bacon in half (or cut pieces individually) and carefully, so the cheese doesn’t fall off, wrap each cheese covered cracker in one half piece of bacon, completely covering the cracker. It should fit snugly around the cracker.

Place the bacon wrapped crackers onto a baking sheet that has a rack on it.

Place in a 250-degree oven for about 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment