Friday, January 14, 2011

Homemade Granola

Oh how I wish I had a picture to put with the recipe because it looks sooooo much better than the boxed stuff you get at the store and is so much healthier, sIdEnOtE: have you ever looked at the fat content on some of that stuff...sheesh I should be eating fruit loops instead, but wait I hate fruit loops, my brother loved, and probably still does, fruit loops which might explain a few things about him today. Anyway I digress, since I have been eating better (notice I said better and not healthy, I don't think I'll ever get there) I really enjoy yogurt parfaits, some creamy Greek Yogurt (my trainer says it is better for me, more protein, less sugar, blah), usually frozen blueberries since I rarely have fresh fruit in the house and granola. But most granolas you buy in the store, and the main reason I did this, but it doesn't seem like it with my above rants, have dried raisins in them and I HATE chewy dried raisins especially in my yogurt parfaits. This granola however is raisin free (unless you like raisins and that is ok too, I guess) and is very tasty, and is easy to adapt just pay attention to your liquid to dry ratio and make sure you bake all the moisture out of the mixture before you seal it up. Homemade Granola 3 cups old fashioned oats 1 cup chopped pecans (you could use walnuts if you wanted) 1 cup slivered, or chopped almonds (pine nuts could be a good alternative here) 2 tsp cinnamon Mix all in a large bowl. 1/2 cup oil (canola or vegetable oil) 1/3 cup honey Whisk together, if your honey is thick you can warm under hot water or in the microwave Pour liquid over dry mixture, spread on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking oil or covered in waxed paper and bake at 200 for 45 minutes to an hour stirring every 15 minutes. If the mixture gets brown quickly or the moisture is baked out sooner you can remove it earlier. I know other people have added coconut to a similar recipe or even, gulp dare I say raisins. But I wouldn't recommend the raisins unless you love raisins or aren't going to put it on granola. You can store in a plastic container for a few weeks so don't make more than you can use up in that time frame.

1 comment:

  1. I am eating this right now. It is awesome! Everyone should make it once, even if they don't think they like granola, cause it rocks my face off!

    *This is anna. your comments don't allow me to select my profile (it's a blogspot thing...tumblr doesn't do it, don't ask)

    ReplyDelete