Saturday, February 4, 2012

Heart Healthy Beef - Kabobs

I love kabobs, especially in the summer. Fresh veggies, fruit and meat on a stick? Yes I think so!

I love to marinadee kabob meat. It is so easy to mix up or open up a marinade and pour it in a zip lock baggie with the cut up sirloin and massage it all around to get the marinade in all corners and crevices of the meat. You can do this up to a day in advance if you want to throw it together the night before you plan to cook the meat.

If you are using wooden skewers then make sure you soak them in water for at least 20 minutes because well wood burns and wood near high heat or flames really char dry wooden oversized toothpicks. If you are using metal skewers then be careful of residual heat in the skewers after you bring them off the grill.

I personally love to add what some people consider strange things to my kabobs...I like the traditional onions, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms...but I also love zucchini, pineapple, peaches, pearl onions vs chunks of yellow onion and multiple kinds of meat. Since all the meats cook at different speeds I usually make one skewer of just shrimp so I can add them at the last minute and they aren't over cooked. Chicken and pork I add on the same skewer but my precious beef I have on a separate skewer so I can control the doneness.

A favorite kabob of mine is to marinate steak in a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, peach preserves and Dijon mustard. Then skewer them with pearl onions, tomatoes, zuchinni and peaches. Salt and pepper well and it is so yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment