Monday, August 8, 2011

Do you know where your food comes from?

Poster in the HyVee off Barry Road in KC.
Today I was shopping at my local HyVee (sorry for those of you who don't have one of these, they are awesome and I missed them dearly when I lived in Chicago) and something in the produce section caught my eye…it was a poster that had a name I was familiar with from home…Schweizers Orchards. There is a great photo of the family with some of their equipment in the background and a little explanation about family farms providing food for store. [complete with a QR code for instant learning about them]


I think that this is a great tool for HyVee to implement because they are creating a connection between a family farming operation raising the food that customers are buying for their families. If you are in the NWMO area, or in north KC even…you should check out Schweizers Orchards and all they have to offer.

Grilled cured pork chops, grilled corn, smoked paprika/dill butter and green tomato caprese salad.
Here is a shot of the yummy dinner I made with the great fresh produce that I picked up today. A fresh heirloom tomato and mozzarella caprese salad with basil from my own herb garden, grilled corn on the cob with smoked paprika and dill butter and grilled cured pork chops. The pork chops are from Kurzweils Country Meats, check out this post I did back in 2009 about their operation.



Here is how I grill my corn…
  1. Pull back the husks (but don’t remove) and remove the silks, then replace the husks back over the ear. 
  2. Soak the ears in water for at least 30 minutes.
  3. Place the ears on a hot grill, grilling for 5-10 minutes (depending on the temperature of the grill) per side. Keep an eye on them, if the husks get dry they can catch on fire.
  4. While they are cooking soften some butter and season with dill and smoked paprika.

No comments:

Post a Comment