Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pork and Barley

Last week I got the grilling bug! I had a very simple dinner or supper which ever you call it...on a side note I'd love to know the history behind lunch/dinner being served at noon and dinner/supper being served in the evening, but I digress...my evening meal was comprised of a grilled pork loin and barley pilaf.


I'm a fan of pork loins that are premarinated in their packs. You can get all kinds of favors and they save so much time. I grilled the pork on a medium grill, about 300 degrees, for 45 minutes...it was a one pound pork loin. I used a meat thermometer and got my meat to 140 degrees, then let it set for 10 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute throughout.

The barley was super simple...box instructions were to bring water to a boil and add the barley and salt and oil for 12 minutes. In a sauté pan I combined mushrooms, red pepper and yellow squash. I then made a light vinaigrette using lemon juice, fresh herbs (parsley and basil in this case from my herb garden), salt and olive oil and combined the veggies and vinaigrette with the barley. I like barley as a replacement to rice...different texture and a little more taste.

All in all the whole meal took an hour to prepare!

No comments:

Post a Comment