Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Explore Texas Hill Country

As we do every year, the women on my mom’s side of the family take a trip with Grandma. This year we went to San Antonio and the Texas Hill Country for a little R&R. We went to some really cool places and this is perfect for a ladies trip who are interested in eating and shopping.

Wildseed Farms – Wildseed Farm is a great little place to explore, they have plants and herbs for sale, flower pots, garden décor and a great walking path around their own butterfly and flower gardens. Inside there are tasty treats, a Texas wine tasting station, seeds galore, jewelry, interior décor and the list goes on and on. I picked up this adorable little Mexican painted bull that I will be putting some were in the house and April and I picked up a giant boot planter painted in the same tone for mom and dad’s anniversary. (Thankfully Aunt Lisa was driving back to Missouri in a couple weeks to bring back our breakable treasures!)
My awesome Mexican painted ceremic bull

Fredricksburg – Fredricksburg is a great little German town with a lot of interesting shopping and dining. The stores lined along the Main Street range in funky art, high and low end western décor, wine shops, the General Store and other touristy stops and clothing and accessories. We spent 3-4 hours walking along the streets wondering in and out of the stores. We picked up a lot of great little finds.

Gruene – Gruene is a great little town to visit and plan on spending the day. It is much smaller than Fredricksburg but the shops I think are much more interesting a little more relaxed and low-key. Anchored by the famous Gruene Hall flanked by the Gristmill Restaurant at the far end of the shopping street there was plenty to see and do. We came across a great shop called the Tipsy Gypsy which is where I picked up my sweet glasses that everyone admired all day. I’d highly recommend hitting Gruene before Fredricksburg if you only have one day to spend.
At the Gristmill with my sweet glasses picked up at the Tipsy Gypsy
The world famous Gruene Hall
Love the name of this store!

Becker Vineyards – This is a very nice vineyard in the hill country surrounded by agriculture and lavendae fields. We had a great time sampling the wines and even were able to take some with us and a few lavender goodies like my awesome new hand and body lotion.
My cousin Jackie, me and my sister-in-law April...Instagram framed!
Lukenbach, TX – A surprise stop on our Texas Hill Country tour was to Lukenbach, TX. As a small detour from the winery back to Fredricksburg where Peach Cobbler was on the agenda, we drove down a dead-end road along a peach farm and I was convinced we were lost…until my cousin plugged in her I-Pod and Willie and Waylon came on singing about the Hatfield’s and McCoy’s and I knew exactly where we were going. I highly recommend this little detour but don’t expect it to be a big flashy place. Lukenbach is made up of a dance hall, outdoor stage and seating area, a couple of bars, a concession stand, hat shop and a Post Office that is now a gift shop.




No comments:

Post a Comment