Thursday, June 30, 2011

Must Make Salsa

It is close to the 4th and something I love on the 4th is a nice freshly made salsa and guacamole but we can get to that later. I'm pretty simple when it comes to both but most people really enjoy the salsa I make, but I have a trick...you need this Quick Chef Pro System from Tupperware.
Worth the $64.50!!!
Some people slave over a chopping board and chop their ingredients which is so very time consuming...others use the food processor route which I think liquefies the salsa too much. I purchased this 'spinner' as I call it, about 8 years ago and have been in love with it ever since.

Anyways...my salsa is simple...Roma tomatoes, onion, banana peppers, sweet yellow and/or orange peppers (red if you are in a pinch), jalapenos, fresh cilantro, limes and salt. If I am making a smaller batch I add the onions and all peppers into the spinner and spin until chopped well, then I add the tomatoes quartered and cored so the flavors meld together and the onion and peppers become the smallest particles. You can make the tomato chunks as big or small as you want based on taste...I use kitchen scissors to cut the cilantro into small pieces and squeeze lime juice over the entire dish. Everyone likes their salsa different so if you want to experiment until you figure out your special mix then I would spin all ingredients separate and add them together as you like. The important part is that salt is the key to making this taste right, salt brings out the true flavors in the vegetables. I always try to taste my salsa with the chips I'm going to eat the salsa with because the salt in the chips will add to the flavor.

If you can let the salsa sit for a couple hours and chill it will just make it better and better. If you can find non-organic blue corn chips to serve for a red and blue combo perfect for the 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment