Saturday, January 14, 2012

29 days to a healtier me - DAY 12

Who doesn't love corn bread? It is so good and so comforting and so corny...well not the kind I make because I am a strange person who doesn't like actual corn in things. I like corn...corn on the cob, corn from the cob, corn frozen from the cob, but that is about how I like corn...not in soups, not in salsas, not in casseroles. Ok so I will eat it in all of those last three but they aren't my favorite. Anyway back to the cornbread...I found a great recipe online that is a low fat corn bread, in fact there is less than 1 gram of fat per serving. Amazing. So I whipped up some this past weekend and we had it with a version of my Mexican Chicken Soup. This recipe was also for sure guy tested and guy approved. The guy also warmed up a piece and put a little honey on it later that night for a sweet dessert treat.

I got the recipe off food.com, and made it in about 2 minutes.

Low Fat Cornbread
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
2 eggs beaten (or 1/2 cup egg substitute which is what I used)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Stir in yogurt and eggs. If you want to add anything else like jalapenos or corn or chilies or anything else you like in your cornbread this is where you would add it as well. Pour into an 8 inch square pan sprayed with cooking spray, bake for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment