Wednesday, January 11, 2012

29 days to a healthier me - Day 9

Last weekend I needed comfort food, I needed something yummy and meaty so I took to the internet to find a recipe for low-fat meatloaf. As you can imagine most of the recipes included turkey, now I've never worked with ground turkey before so I had an eye-opening experience when I got it out of the package and it was like soft mush. I also, being the good beef raising girl I am, I had to add beef to the recipe, it just isn't meat loaf without some beef in it. My own twist was using chili sauce, you can get it in the ketchup section and it is a sweeter version of ketchup...there is NO spice to it, I like to add it to things that you would normally add brown sugar and ketchup to like ham balls and little smokies. This has been guy tested and guy approved and that is saying something from a meat and potatoes loving guy. We paired it with boiled and roasted red potatoes and roasted asparagus. I got the base of this recipe from a recipe on Good Housekeeping.

Turkey Meatloaf
1 pound turkey
1/2 pound ground chuck (or other lean beef)
1/4 cup skim milk
1/3 cup egg white/egg substitute
12 saltines (crushed)
2 tbs worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cup chili sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tsp mustard (Dijon or yellow)
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the turkey, beef, milk, egg, saltines, worcestershire, 1/2 cup of the chili sauce and salt and pepper in a bowl. If the meatloaf is runny add more crackers, if it seems too dry then add more milk. Shape into a loaf, now because of the consistency of the turkey the loaf won't hold shape quite like an all beef one does so if you have a loaf pan I'd go with that. Combine the remaining chili sauce, ketchup and mustard and pour over the top of the meatloaf. Cook for 55-60 minutes being careful not to overcook and dry out the meatloaf.

Leftovers make great sandwiches or can be frozen to eat later if you make a whole loaf for just one or two people. We had 6-7 good servings out of this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment