Sunday, January 8, 2012

29 days to a healthier me - DAY 6

After a weekend if I can I like to settle in for a nice Sunday night of watching football and make a nice home cooked meal. Last Monday, I invited Amber over and we had smoked pork chops and this new side of Butternut and Barley Pilaf. So I've never cooked barley before and not sure if I have had it aside from the Beef and Barley soup from Hereford House so I was excited to try it and it is a whole grain and very healthy for you.

Now I purchased the quick cooking barley, so I had to adjust when I put it into the broth, water and butternut squash mixture so you could either purchase the quick cooking and add it with 10-15 minutes left to cook or get the full strength stuff and follow the recipe exactly. Like I said we had a smoked pork chop with this but if you don't have something salty I would add a good amount of salt to the side-dish because it needs it to bring out the flavors.

Add this to a smoked pork chop or chicken breast with a herbed marinade for a homey, comforting Sunday night meal.

Butternut and Barley Pilaf

No comments:

Post a Comment